Zucchini Bread with Ginger and a Tart Lemon Glaze.
Years ago I decided to try my hand at gardening. True to form, I didn’t start out planting a couple different veggies in a tiny corner of the yard like a sane person might. Oh, no. I tore the grass out of our entire back yard as well as a decent chunk of the front yard and planted a mini-farm. We had vegetables coming out of our ears, especially (and I’m sure you see this coming) zucchini. (And tomatoes. I planted like, 20 tomato plants. Don’t even ask me why I thought that was a good idea.)
I don’t remember how many zucchini plants I planted. Suffice to say, it was WAY TOO MANY. We were attacked by it. It tried to take over everything. I couldn’t give it away fast enough. That summer, we ate zucchini everything. Once, I even made zucchini tacos (which were actually pretty good).
My gardening days are behind me, partly because the house we currently live in has the worst soil in the world and also because I live in a town with a farmer’s market on practically every corner. And actually, I don’t even cook zucchini all that often any more because…. well, I think I burned us out on it. Except for zucchini bread. We’re not tired of zucchini bread yet.
I made a lot of zucchini bread during my gardening days, freezing loaf after loaf of it to pull out in the dead of winter. These days, it’s still a hit in my house, particularly with my 16 year old daughter, and this is our favorite recipe. It is supremely moist and not too sweet. The hint of ginger adds a kind of homey warmth, and the lemon glaze taste like a lemon drop candy. Yummy.
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh, grated ginger
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups shredded zucchini (packed and undrained)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, blend flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and ginger with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- Mix sugars, fresh ginger, eggs, oil, butter and vanilla on medium speed in a standing mixer fitted with the wire whisk until well blended. (Or mix by hand with a wire whisk.)
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix with the paddle attachment on low speed, just until blended. (Or stir with a wooden spoon.) Stir in the zucchini.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out mostly clean, with just a crumb or two sticking to it.
- Remove the bread from the oven and set on a wire rack. Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then gently turn out of the pan to cool on the wire rack.
- With a wire whisk, blend all the glaze ingredients in a bowl until well blended and drizzle over the loaf while still warm.