- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ sticks salted butter, at room temperature, cut into tablespoon size pieces
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt (plus more for sprinkling)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 ½ cups bittersweet chocolate chips
Make the cookie dough:
- Add the pecans to a skillet set over medium heat and let toast, stirring frequently, until golden brown and fragrant. Let cool then grind in a food processor until powdery. (Be careful not to over grind and make pecan butter.)
- While the pecans cool add the whole wheat flour to the skillet and set it back over medium heat. Toast the flour, stirring frequently, until it’s 2 shades darker in color and smells fragrant. Remove from heat and add the butter, stirring until the butter is melted and combined with the flour. Let cool to room temperature.
- Measure out ¼ cup of ground pecans and add to a large bowl along with the all-purpose flour, 1 tsp kosher salt, and baking soda. Stir with a wire whisk to combine.
- Beat both sugars, eggs, and both extracts with an electric mixer on medium high until well combined – about 1 minute. Add the whole wheat flour and butter mixture and beat on low speed just until combined.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and the chocolate chips to the dough and beat on low speed (or stir) just until combined. Do not over work the dough.
At this point, the cookies can be baked right away, or reserved in the refrigerator. Allowing the dough to rest, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 36 hours, improves the flavor and texture of the cookies.
Bake the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into golf ball size balls and space on the baking sheets at least 3-inches apart. Use the palm of your hand to flatten slightly and sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of kosher salt (optional, but soooo good).
- Bake for 12–14 minutes, until the cookies look set but slightly underdone in the middle.
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, soft chocolate chip cookies, best chocolate chip cookies