Rich and tender cream biscuits stuffed with smoked gouda, bacon, and jalapeños, are slightly crisp on the outside, pillow-soft on the inside, and bursting with spicy, cheesy flavor. Start to finish, they'll be on your table in under 30 minutes.
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup spicy pickled jalapeños, diced
- 6 oz (about 1 1/2 cups) grated smoked gouda with bacon (or any kind of cheese you like, with or without bacon)
*If you can't find smoked gouda with bacon in it but want bacon flavor in your biscuits, cook 3 slices of thick cut bacon until crispy, let cool, and then crumble into the dough with the grated cheese. These biscuits are also delicious without bacon.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, and oregano to a large bowl and stir with a wire whisk to combine.
- Pour about 1 1/4 cups of the heavy cream into the flour mixture. Using your hands, gently toss the flour with the cream until most of the flour is moistened, with some dry bits in the bottom of the bowl. Add the cheese and jalapeños and gently knead them into the dough. At this point, if there is no more dry flour in your bowl, proceed with the recipe. If your dough is on the dry side, add as much of the remaining cream as you need to create a soft, sticky dough.
- Dump the dough onto a floured work surface and sprinkle some flour across the top. Pat the dough into a circle that's roughly 8 or 9 inches in diameter and about 1-inch thick. Use a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter to cut out 8 biscuits, placing them on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the tops of the biscuits are very lightly browned.