Everyone loves brownies and these are the crowd pleasing variety. Plus, they’re super easy. In about an hour you’ll have 64 small frosted brownies.
FOR THE BROWNIES:
- 4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cup (21 1/3 tbsp) salted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 12 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cup + 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups semi-sweet or bitter-sweet chocolate chips
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1 cup semi-sweet or bitter-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 stick (8 tbsp) salted butter
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
MAKE THE BROWNIES:
- Butter a large sheet pan and heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the brown sugar with the butter on medium-high speed until combined, about 1 minute. Beat in the vanilla until fully incorporated.
- With the mixer running on medium-low speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating for 10-20 seconds after each addition, making sure to fully incorporate one before adding the next. Stop the mixer to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times during this process. Add the vanilla when you add the last egg, beating just long enough to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add the salt, flour, and cocoa powder and stir with a wire whisk to combine. Add to the standing mixer bowl and beat on the lowest speed just to incorporate. Using a spatula, give the batter a stir to make sure all the flour has been mixed into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the buttered sheet pan and smooth it into an even layer. Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the batter. Bake for 21 – 24 minutes, until the brownies are just barely set in the center of the pan.
- Set the pan on a wire rack and let cool completely before frosting.
MAKE THE FROSTING:
- Put the chocolate chips in a medium size bowl and set aside.
- Add the powdered sugar, milk, butter, and salt to a medium size sauce pan set over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the butter melts and the mixture comes to a boil. Let boil, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Pour the butter and sugar mixture over the chocolate chips and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir until all the chocolate chips are melted and the frosting is smooth, then stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the frosting over the cooled brownies, spreading it into a thin even layer. Let the frosting set for at least 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
Keywords: brownies, frosted brownies, party, BBQ, dessert, recipe, chocolate