Rich, ultra moist chocolate cake frosted with salted caramel Italian meringue buttercream, sprinkled with chocolate almond toffee, and drizzled with salted caramel sauce.
- About 1 cup Homemade English Toffee, or store bought candy, chopped into small pieces
- 1 batch Salted Caramel Sauce, at room temperature
- 1 recipe Italian Meringue Buttercream – follow instructions for the Salted Caramel version
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup sour cream – OR plain, unsweetened full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
BAKE THE CUPCAKES:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins with paper liners.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the sugars, flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix on low speed to combine.
- Add the eggs, oil and sour cream. Mix on low just to combine, and then increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low and mix in the boiling water. Mix in the vanilla just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pans. Bake jumbo size cupcakes for 30 – 35 minutes and regular size cupcakes for 20 – 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in one of the cupcakes comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack before lifting the cupcakes out of the pan to cool completely.