Hello chocolate lover. Meet your new favorite cookie. Buttery chocolate thumbprint cookies filled with a dollop of peppermint spiked hot fudge and a sprinkling of crushed candy canes.
If you love chocolate, these cookies are dangerously delicious. The cookie is a rich, buttery chocolate shortbread that practically melts in your mouth. But then, instead of the more traditional fruit filling, these thumbprint cookies are filled with peppermint hot fudge.
The result tastes a bit like a mug of hot chocolate in cookie form. If you're in the mood to really splurge, they are outrageously delicious served with hot fudge sundaes.
And, for all you chocolate peppermint lovers, these peppermint mocha cookies are another deliciously chocolaty way to celebrate the season.
More Christmas cookie recipes:
- Chewy Vanilla Bean Brown Sugar Cookies
- Frosted Brown Butter Citrus Shortbread Christmas Cookies
- Cherry Almond Rugelach
- Double Chocolate Kiss Cookies
- Malted White Chocolate Sandwich Cookies with Halva Buttercream
- Christmas Funfetti Cookies
- Mini Gingersnaps with Sorghum and Brown Sugar
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you give this recipe a try, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or take a picture and tag it #ofbatteranddough on Instagram.
For the cookies:
- 1 cup (8 ounces/ 226 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 ⅓ cup (266 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons (29 grams) heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (84 grams) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt, OR 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
For the filling and decorating:
- 14 ounces hot fudge
- 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons peppermint extract (start with 1 teaspoon, taste and add more if you like)
- 2 or 3 candy canes
- Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on low just to combine the ingredients, then beat on high, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl every now and then, until the mixture is very light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and beat on high to fully incorporate, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt to a separate bowl and stir with a wire whisk to combine. Add to the mixer bowl and mix on low speed just until incorporated.
- Spread a sheet of plastic wrap out on a work surface and put the cookie dough in the center. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and cover a couple cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Shape the dough into tablespoon size balls and place on the cookie sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Using your thumb or the tip of your index finger or the round end of a wooden spoon or ice cream scoop, to make an indentation in the center of each cookie. Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, for 12 minutes until the cookies are set and small cracks are appearing on their surface.
- Immediately after removing the cookies from the oven, use the round end of a wooden spoon or ice cream scoop to tap down the centers of the cookies, which will have risen during baking.
- Place the pan on a wire rack and let the cookies cool completely on the pan. Repeat with the other pan of cookie dough.
- When the cookies are completely cool, stir the peppermint extract into the hot fudge. Start with 1 teaspoon of extract, taste, and add more if you like.
- Using a small spoon, fill the centers of the cookies with dollops of hot fudge.
- Put the candy canes in a zip top bag and use a rolling pin or mallet to crush them into small pieces. Sprinkle a few pieces of crushed candy canes over the top.
- Store cookies in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Native Vanilla Peppermint Extract, 4 ounces
Mrs Richardsons Topping Fudge Hot, Packaging May Vary
Native Vanilla - Extracts Made from Premium Vanilla Bean Pods 16 Fl Oz (Pack of 1)
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
KitchenAid KP26M1XNP 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer
Nutrition Information:Yield: 52 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 82Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 99mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g