Peanut Butter Nutella cookies are sandwiched together with a layer of Nutella and crushed Peanut Brittle, creating a cookie that's both soft and crunchy, sweet and salty, and packed with the flavor of peanut butter and chocolate.
FOR THE COOKIES:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 18 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 4 1/2 tbsp peanut oil, or corn oil
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup Nutella
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 cup Nutella
- Sea salt
- 1 cup crushed peanut brittle(add peanut brittle to a ziplock bag, seal and pound with a rolling pin until the candy is crushed.)
- Add both flours, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda to a medium size bowl and stir to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat both sugars with the butter and peanut or corn oil until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla, and beat until well combined, about 2 more minutes. Beat in the peanut butter at low speed and then stir in the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Dot the surface of the cookie dough with spoonfuls of Nutella and use a knife to swirl the Nutella into the peanut butter cookie dough. Don't blend the Nutella completely into the dough - leave plenty of swirls. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour, or up to 1 day.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and shape into balls about the size of ping-pong balls. Place the balls of dough on the prepared cookie sheet, leaving at least 2 inches in-between each cookie. Use a fork to flatten the cookies slightly and create a criss-cross pattern by pressing the fork into each cookie horizontally, then vertically.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 10-12 minutes, until set, but still slightly doughy looking in the very center. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before assembling.
TO ASSEMBLE THE COOKIES:
- Spread a think layer of Nutella on the bottoms of half the cookies. Sprinkle Nutella with a pinch of sea salt and a sprinkle of crushed peanut brittle. Add another cookie on top to form a sandwich.
- Cookies will keep for up to a week at room temperature in a covered container.