- 4 lbs. fresh asparagus
- ¼ cup tarragon vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh tarragon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sesame chili oil
- ½ cup chopped roasted almonds (roast whole almonds at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes, until they start to smell toasty)
- Break asparagus in half, reserving the tops and discarding the bottoms. Have a large bowl of ice water at the ready.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Drop in the asparagus and cook for 1 ½ – 3 minutes, depending on the thickness of the asparagus. Test for doneness by pulling one piece of asparagus from the water and biting into it. It should be easy to bite into but still have a lot of crunch. Be careful not to overcook.
- Dunk the cooked asparagus into the ice water. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes. Drain.
- Add the tarragon vinegar, fresh tarragon, olive oil, honey, salt, pepper, mustard and chili oil to a blender and blend on medium-high for 1 minute.
- If serving immediately, toss the asparagus with the dressing and then sprinkle with chopped roasted almonds. If making ahead of time, store the asparagus and dressing in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator. Assemble the salad right before serving.