Moist and tender muffins, packed with berries and topped with buttery brown sugar streusel.
FOR THE STREUSEL
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Stevia
- 2 large eggs
- 1¼ cup plain yogurt, full fat or 2%
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 heaping cups fresh or frozen berries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
MAKE THE STREUSEL:
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Pour in the melted butter and mix until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Cover, and set aside.
BAKE THE MUFFINS:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin pan with paper liners.
- Dump the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium size bowl and mix with a wire whisk to combine.
- Combine the melted butter, sugar and Stevia in a medium size bowl and whisk vigorously with a wire whisk for about 30 seconds, until well combined. Add the eggs and whisk for another 30 seconds. Whisk in the yogurt, lemon zest and vanilla extract until combined.
- With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in the dry ingredients and then the berries. The batter will be very thick. (I usually use my hands to fully incorporate the berries.)
- Fill muffin cups ½ to ⅔ full, depending on whether you are using tulip muffin liners or regular muffin liners. The batter is very thick, so use your fingers to press the batter gently into each cup. Evenly distribute the crumb topping across all the muffins.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out mostly clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack.