These fluffy little cloud-like coconut cakes are decorated with Coconut Maple Italian Meringue Buttercream for the most adorable single-serving mini cakes.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt (2 tsp kosher salt)
- 2 large eggs + 9 large egg whites, at room temperature (See note for what to do with the egg yolks.)
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp coconut cream, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp coconut milk, at room temperature
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 9 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 9 tbsp coconut oil
- 1–2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, for sprinkling over the cakes
- 1 recipe Italian Meringue Buttercream, follow the instructions for the Coconut Maple Version in the list of flavoring options right above the recipe.
- Sliver sprinkles (optional), for decorating
- Grease a large 21×15 inch sheet cake pan with coconut oil. Line the bottom of the pan with a sheet of parchment paper and grease the parchment paper with coconut oil. Lightly flour the whole pan.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt to a bowl and stir with a wire whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add the whole eggs, egg whites, coconut cream, coconut milk, vanilla and coconut extracts and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add the sugar, butter, and oil to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on high for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the flour and egg mixtures in alternating additions, beating just long enough to combine each new addition: flour, eggs, flour, eggs, flour. After each addition, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Line your oven’s baking rack with a couple of sheets of aluminum foil. This is just in case any of the batter drips from the pan while the cake is baking. Scrape the batter into your prepared cake pan and bake for 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out without any evidence of batter.
- Remove the pan to a wire rack and allow the cake to cool completely in the pan.
- While the cake cools, make the Coconut Maple Italian Meringue Buttercream
- Toast the coconut: Add the coconut to a dry skillet set over medium high heat. Cook the coconut, stirring constantly, until about 1/3-1/2 of the coconut is golden brown. Scrape the coconut onto a plate and allow to cool completely.
- Use round cutters to cut out small cakes in whatever size(s) you like.
- Frost and decorate each mini cake with buttercream, and sprinkle with toasted coconut and silver sprinkles if desired.
Keywords: coconut cake, mini cakes, Christmas cake, holiday recipe