- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4–5 oz powdered chai tea latte drink mix (I used four 1.1 oz packets of Oregon Chai Tea Latte Original)
- 4 tbsp butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature (preferably full-fat, but low-fat will work too)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 recipe Italian Meringue Buttercream – follow instructions right above the recipe for Chai Latte flavor
- Optional: white chocolate chips and nutmeg for decorating
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a mini-muffin pan with non-stick baking spray and line with paper liners.
- Add the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and powdered chai mix to a bowl and stir with a wire whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add the melted butter, oil, and sugar and whisk to combine. Whisk in the eggs.
- Combine the buttermilk and vanilla in a measuring cup and add in two additions, alternating with three additions of the flour: flour, buttermilk, flour, buttermilk, flour. After each addition, whisk just long enough to combine the ingredients.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full with batter. The batter should come nearly to the top of the paper liners. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in one of the cupcakes comes out without any liquid batter on it.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for about 1 minute, then dump out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Frost cupcakes with a swirl of Chai Latte Italian Meringue Buttercream. If desired, top each with one white chocolate chip and a light dusting of nutmeg.