Lemon Muffins with candied ginger, sugar, & a tart lemon glaze. Both tart & sweet, these lemon muffins are the perfect afternoon-treat.
If you were to drop by my house late in the afternoon, I would want to serve you a tray of these lemon muffins.
I would open the windows, and we would enjoy the fresh air and the late day sun, and talk about our week.
And it would be so.... lovely.
Because, these lemon muffins are perfect afternoon-treat muffins. Gingery, sugary, tart and sweet.
Not that I would turn one of these down in the morning. Warm and dripping with tart lemon glaze...
Topped with crystalized ginger and giving the house that fresh, warm, fresh-baked smell that is so delicious.
Especially when mixed with coffee. Or tea.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons salted or unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (or vegetable or canola oil)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon packed lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract (or 1 teaspoon lemon oil)
FOR THE LEMON GLAZE:
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
FOR THE GINGER SUGAR TOPPING:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- Crystalized ginger (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease muffin pan or line with paper liners and set aside. (This recipe will make 6 jumbo muffins or 12 regular size muffins.)
- With a wire whisk, mix the flour, baking powder, ginger and salt in a medium size bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, beat the melted butter and oil with both sugars with a wire whisk until well blended and slightly lightened. Whisk in eggs and then sour cream, lemon zest, vanilla and lemon extracts until well blended.
- Stir dry ingredients into mixture with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until just blended.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full. If making regular size muffins, bake for 20-25 minutes. Jumbo size muffins will take 40-45 min. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of one muffin comes out clean.
While the muffins are baking:
- Combine lemon glaze ingredients in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and let reduce until syrupy and slightly thick. You should have about 4 tablespoon of glaze.
- Mix together the ginger sugar topping and set aside.
- Let the muffins cool in the muffin pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, and then gently lift them out of muffin tin, dip the tops in the lemon glaze and sprinkle with the ginger-sugar. Set on a wire rack to cool.
- If you like, top with chopped crystalized candied ginger.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 232mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 4g