- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 8 or 9 inch square baking dish.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the shortening and sugar until fluffy – about 2 minutes.
- Add flour, salt, ginger, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg and mix on low until incorporated. Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture in a small bowl.
- Add egg, molasses, buttermilk and baking soda to the mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until smooth – about 1 minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle the reserved flour and spice mixture evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack, slice into squares and serve.