This Strawberry Cake from scratch is covered in a thick layer of Pistachio Buttercream and flavored with fresh strawberries, strawberry jam and a hint of lime.
- 1 recipe Italian Meringue Buttercream, the Pistachio flavored version
- 1 1/2 cups good quality strawberry jam (18 oz)
- The zest from 6 small limes
- 6 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp butter (1 stick), melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large egg whites + 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened full-fat yogurt (preferably Greek yogurt), at room temperature
- 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp strawberry emulsion (optional)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare three 8-inch cake pans as follows: Grease the inside of each pan with vegetable shorting. Cut three 8-inch parchment paper rounds and lay inside each pan to cover the bottoms. Lightly grease the parchment paper with vegetable shorting. Shake some all-purpose flour around the inside of each pan to coat the bottom and sides.
- In a small bowl, stir together the strawberry jam, lime zest, and lime juice until combined. Set aside.
- Add the cornstarch, flour, baking powder, and salt to a medium size bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, beat the egg whites with a wire whisk or hand held electric mixer until firm peaks form. Set aside.
- Add the melted butter, sugar, and whole eggs to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on high speed for 2 minute, until well combined and lightened.
- Add the yogurt and flour mixtures in 4 alternating additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat for about 20-30 seconds at medium speed after each addition – just long enough to incorporate each addition fully.
- Add the vanilla and strawberry extracts along with the jam and lime juice mixture to the batter and beat on medium speed for 1 minute to combine.
- With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir in the chopped strawberries. Gently fold in about 1/3 of the beaten egg whites to lighten the batter. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites, just to combine.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans and bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into one of the cakes comes out mostly clean, without raw cake batter clinging to it. The tops of the cakes will be cracked slightly, and just starting to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Turn each cake out of their pan and allow to cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
- Frost and decorate with Pistachio Italian Meringue Buttercream.