Sourdough bread baked in a rich Dulce de Leche batter, topped with buttery brown sugar and almond streusel, and served with a drizzle of chocolate ganache. Whether you serve it for breakfast, brunch, or dessert, this Dulce de Leche Baked French Toast is a deliciously luxurious way to spoil those you love the most. (Or, those you just want to impress.😉)
- One 2 pound loaf sourdough bread
- 13.5 ounces dulce de leche
- 6 large eggs
- 2/3 cup Kefir, plain and unsweetened, low-fat or full fat (*See note for substitutions)
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt (Or 2 tsp kosher salt)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
For the streusel topping:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 3 ounces (1/2 cup) roasted unsalted almonds, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt (or 3/4 tsp kosher salt)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
For the Chocolate Ganache drizzle (optional):
- 2/3 cup (5.7 fluid ounces) heavy whipping cream
- 7 ounces (1 heaping cup)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cut the bread into 2-3-inch cubes and spread them out into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Add the dulce de leche, eggs, Kifer, cream, salt, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and almond extract to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Don't worry about getting the Dulce de Leche completely blended in - there will be small chunks throughout.
- Pour the mixture over the bread and toss the bread around in the pan a bit to make sure it's all evenly coated. Using your hands or the back of a spatula, press the bread to pack it down into the pan.
- Cover the pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Combine all the streusel ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until well combined. Cover and chill along with the French toast.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the French toast and streusel from the refrigerator. Sprinkle the streusel over the top of the French toast in an even layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Make the Chocolate Ganache:
- Put the chocolate chips in a small bowl. Heat the cream in the microwave just until bubbles appear around the outside edges. Pour over the chocolate chips and let stand for 1 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the salt and stir the ganache until completely smooth. If the chocolate chips don't melt all the way, heat the ganache in the microwave in 10 second intervals, stirring well, until melted and smooth.
You can substitute buttermilk or plain, unsweetened yogurt for the kefir in this recipe. If the yogurt you're using is quite thick, thin it slightly with a bit of milk, water, half and half or cream, until it's the consistency of heavy cream.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes (plus refrigeration time)
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
Keywords: baked French toast, Dulce de Leche, Dulce de Leche French toast, breakfast recipe, brunch recipe, holiday recipe, entertaining