We about made ourselves sick on these crock-pot chicken tacos last night. Chicken thighs are simmered a green chili sauce for 4-6 hours in a slow cooker, until they are falling apart tender and infused with all that flavor from the sauce. Also, your house will smell AMAZING at this point.
Remove the chicken, shred it and keep it warm while you boil the cooking liquid into a rich green chili sauce.
Crumble some cheese, chopped some cilantro, sauté some pineapple until it's caramelized, and then go to town.
And if you really want to take these over the top, make the tortillas from scratch. Stop laughing. Homemade tortillas are shockingly better than anything packaged on your grocery store shelves and even more shockingly easy to make. Here's what one reader told me after she made them for the first time:
"Just made these for dinner tonight. Awesome, quick, easy and so good. Will never buy tortillas again!"
While your chicken is getting happy in the crock pot, make some tortillas. Then try not to eat them all before the rest of the meal is ready.
Crock-Pot Chicken Tacos with Grilled Pineapple
Chicken is simmered in a crock post in a rich green chili sauce until it's fall apart tender and delicious then wrapped in flour tortillas and topped with cheese, cilantro, and caramelized pineapple.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 3 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2- 15 oz cans red enchilada sauce
- 27 oz can chopped green chillies
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 15 oz can pineapple chunks, drained
- 8 oz Queso Fresco or Monterey Jack cheese, crumbled or shredded
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 12 flour tortillas
- In a large, heavy bottom saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat until the butter is melted. Dump the chopped onion into the pan and sauté until soft and golden.
- Add the diced jalapeño, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, brown sugar, salt and pepper to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the enchilada sauce and green chilies to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Place the chicken thighs in a slow cooker and pour the hot sauce over them. Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 4-6 hours, until the chicken is very tender.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce, shred and keep warm.
- Pour about 6 cups of the cooking liquid into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Continue to cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce is reduced into a thick, spoonable green chili sauce. Remove from the heat.
- Heat a skillet over high heat until very hot. Add the pineapple to the hot, dry skillet and allow to cook on one side until the side touching the pan is a deep golden color. Flip the pineapple chunks over and allow to caramelize on the other side.
- To serve, fill each tortilla with shredded chicken, spoon green chili sauce over the chicken and top with cheese, cilantro, and a few chunks of pineapple.
© Of Batter and Dough. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Of Batter and Dough.