Cream Cheese Buttercream is a gorgeous blend of cream cheese and butter, sweetened with confectioners sugar, and flavored with vanilla and a touch of sour cream.
- 16 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 18 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 9–10 cups powdered sugar (*Or more – See note.)
- Beat the cream cheese, butter, sour cream, vanilla, and salt with an electric mixer until very creamy and almost fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat on low speed just to incorporate the sugar without it flying all over your kitchen, then beat on medium-high for another 3 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl two or three times.
- If the buttercream isn’t thick enough to ice your cake, add more powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until you get the consistency you’re looking for. However, please note the temperature of your buttercream before adding more powdered sugar. If the room is warm, the buttercream might be on the thin side simply because it’s too warm. Place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour, re-beat it and check the consistency.