These cinnamon streusel mini-muffins, covered in buttery streusel and vanilla almond glaze prove that the best things come in small packages.
FOR THE STREUSEL:
- ¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten slightly with a fork
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract (or 1 more teaspoon of vanilla extract)
MAKE THE STREUSEL:
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Pour in the melted butter and mix with your hands until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Cover, and set aside.
BAKE THE MUFFINS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a mini-muffin pan with mini-muffin paper liners, or spray the pan with non-stick spray.
- Dump the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and both sugars into a medium size bowl and mix with a wire whisk to combine.
- With a fork, whisk the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla together to combine. Add to the dry ingredients along with the melted butter. Mix with a wire whisk for about 20 seconds, until mostly combined; it's ok if you have a few lumps.
- Add a heaping tsp of batter to each muffin cup (the batter should come almost to the top of the cups) and top each with a generous crumbles of streusel. Gently press the streusel into the batter just to help it stick as the muffins rise.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean - or with just a few crumbs clinging to it.
- Let cool on a wire rack while mixing up the glaze.
MAKE THE GLAZE:
- Whisk together all the glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over the tops of mini-muffins.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes