Mini-Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel and Vanilla Glaze.
These cinnamon streusel mini-muffins, spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg and covered in buttery brown sugar streusel and vanilla glaze, are adorable and jam packed with flavor, proving that the best things really do come in small packages.
These bite sized bits of glazed, cinnamon sugar covered yumminess are making me want to create little miniature bite sized versions of everything. And, let me tell you, this is a new feeling for me. Because, my natural bent is towards making too much of …. well, everything.
If you ask me to make a birthday cake for 20 people you can pretty much count on my making enough for 60. I just can’t bear the thought of running out and someone not getting any.
Where does the tendency to always make too much come from? I have no idea. And we all have better things to do with our day than psychoanalyze my need to create an over abundance of whatever it is I’m making at the moment.
Also, seriously. The very fact that I am so fortunate as to be able to create an over abundance of good food for people I love is something to be grateful for. This I know.
I am much more likely to use the jumbo muffin pan than the mini-muffin one.
In fact, I’ve owned a mini muffin pan, which I purchased along with mini-muffin liners, for at least 5 years (probably more). And, the muffins you see here are the first things ever to be baked in its adorable little mini-muffin cups.
I honestly don’t even remember what inspired me to purchase it in the first place. Nonetheless, that inspiration passed and I’ve just been moving it out of the way to get to my regular and jumbo sized muffin pans for years. Poor little neglected mini-muffin pan.
But, this past Sunday morning, I woke up thinking that I should make mini-muffins.
Why, you ask? Again, no idea.
And, while I’m running the risk of sounding like the least self-aware person you’ve ever read this many words from, I swear to you, dear reader, it was a thought of inspiration. It’s like somewhere in my habit-encrusted brain, a little thought was allowed to rise up that said…
“Hey. You. Person who loves minimalism and tiny houses and traveling all over the country for weeks on a motorcycle largely because of the freedom of traveling without stuff… bring that thinking into the kitchen with you for a change this morning and make mini-muffins, because as you keep telling everyone – sometimes, less is more.”
And now, I can’t believe I haven’t always made mini-muffins.
Jumbo muffin pan, you’re doomed. I might never use you again because mini-muffins are where it’s at.
Not only are these the perfect size when you just want a bite or two of something sweet, every bite is the perfect amount of muffin, streusel, and glaze. So, just a warning. While I seriously doubt that my over the top, spoil you senseless with way too much food tendency is over, there are also a lot more mini-treats in my future.
I’ve already spent some time online looking at mini-loaf, doughnut and springform pans, and even mini pizza pans, which are probably not necessary to make small pizzas, but kind of awesome all the same.
Used in this recipe:
Other Recipes You Might Like:
- Healthy Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Salted Caramel Doughnut Holes
- Chai Vanilla Pots de Creme
Cinnamon Streusel Mini-Muffins
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #ofbatteranddough. I love to see what you bake!Print
These cinnamon streusel mini-muffins, covered in buttery streusel and vanilla almond glaze prove that the best things come in small packages.
FOR THE STREUSEL:
- ¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten slightly with a fork
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2–3 tbsp milk
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
MAKE THE STREUSEL:
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Pour in the melted butter and mix with your hands until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Cover, and set aside.
BAKE THE MUFFINS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a mini-muffin pan with mini-muffin paper liners, or spray the pan with non-stick spray.
- Dump the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and both sugars into a medium size bowl and mix with a wire whisk to combine.
- With a fork, whisk the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla together to combine. Add to the dry ingredients along with the melted butter. Mix with a wire whisk for about 20 seconds, until mostly combined; it’s ok if you have a few lumps.
- Add a heaping tsp of batter to each muffin cup (the batter should come almost to the top of the cups) and top each with a generous crumbles of streusel. Gently press the streusel into the batter just to help it stick as the muffins rise.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean – or with just a few crumbs clinging to it.
- Let cool on a wire rack while mixing up the glaze.
MAKE THE GLAZE:
- Whisk together all the glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over the tops of mini-muffins.
© Of Batter and Dough. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Of Batter and Dough.