Layers of salted caramel and whipped hot fudge sandwiched between tender roasted hazelnut cookies.
FOR THE HAZELNUT COOKIES:
- 1 1/2 cups butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry roasted hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
FOR THE SALTED CARAMEL FILLING:
- 1 recipe Salted Caramel Sauce, well chilled
FOR THE CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 1 cup store bought or homemade hot fudge or Nutella
MAKE THE COOKIES:
- Grind the hazelnuts in a food processor until they resemble corn meal. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and both sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary, about 2 minutes.
- Put the milk and vanilla in a measuring cup.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, hazelnuts and salt with a wire whisk just to blend.
- Pour the milk and vanilla into the butter and sugar mixture and beat on low speed just until the milk is incorporated enough to not splash out of the bowl, about 1 minute. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until the milk is almost completely incorporated into the butter and sugar, about 2 minutes longer.
- Add the flour and hazelnut mixture and beat on low speed just until combined, about 30 seconds. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place generous tablespoon sized balls of dough at least 3 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Flatten the balls slightly with your hands, shaping them into circles that are about 1/2 inch high and as evenly and uniformly as you can.
- Bake the cookies for 12-16 minutes, reversing the cookie sheet in the oven halfway through to encourage even baking, until the cookies are set and the edges are just beginning to brown. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes before removing the cookies to cool on a wire rack completely. Repeat with the remaining dough.
TO ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICH COOKIES:
- If using hot fudge, scoop it into a small bowl and beat with an electric mixer until it thickens and lightens to the color of milk chocolate.
- When the cookies are completely cool, lay them upside down on a work surface. Spread a thin layer of whipped hot fudge or Nutella on half of the cookies and a thin layer of Salted Caramel Sauce on the other half of the cookies. Assemble each chocolate half with a caramel half and refrigerate for about 20 minutes to firm up the fillings before serving. Cookies can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.