The Best Chocolate Banana Cream Pie Recipe. A shortbread cookie crust layered with chocolate & rum custard, bananas & fresh whipped cream.
FOR THE CRUST:
- 2 packages (5.3 oz each) all-butter shortbread cookies
- pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 ½ tbsp. butter, melted
FOR THE FILLING:
MAKE THE CRUST:
- Add the shortbread, pinch of salt and nutmeg to the bowl of a food processor and process in long pulses until finely ground and beginning to stick to the sides. Add the melted butter and vanilla, and pulse just until incorporated. Transfer the crumbs to a 9-inch pie plate and press evenly into the bottom and up the sides. Freeze the pie shell for at least one hour.
MAKE THE FILLING:
- Place the chocolate in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Slowly whisk in the milk and then the egg yolks. Cook over medium-high heat until the custard boils and is very thick, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Measure out ½ cup of the hot custard and add to the bowl of chocolate; let sit for a minute or two to melt the chocolate. Meanwhile, whisk the 2 tbsb. cold butter into the custard in the saucepan. Stir in the rum and transfer the rum custard to a heatproof bowl. Refrigerate until well chilled, about 2-3 hours.
- Stir the chocolate custard until all the chocolate is melted and smooth and then stir in 1 1/2 tbsp. cream. Remove the pie shell from the freezer and spread the chocolate custard across the bottom. Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Working over the pie shell, cut the bananas into ¼-inch thick slices, letting them fall to cover the bottom. Spoon the rum custard over the bananas, smoothing the top.
- Whip 1 cup cream with the powdered sugar and vanilla until it forms soft peaks, Spread on top of the rum custard and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 1 day, before serving.