This is the type of crumb topping that you would expect to find on anything labeled "New York Crumb Cake". It results in gorgeous large buttery chunks of deliciousness, perfect on New York Crumb Cake (of course). But also try it on this Banana Crumb Cake with Caramel Rum Sauce.
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks butter, melted
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- In a medium size bowl, mix sugars, cinnamon and salt.
- Add melted butter and stir to combine.
- Add the flour and mix with your hands, gently rubbing the flour into the butter and sugar until all the flour is moist.
- Cover and set aside while you make the cake or muffins you want to top with this buttery crumb topping. Or, put in a ziplock bag or air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- When topping cake or muffins, the key to big delicious crumbs is to squeeze the crumb topping in your hand to form large chunks as you distribute the topping on the cake or muffins. If your crumb topping has been refrigerated for a while, let it sit out on the counter for an hour or so, until the topping is pliable enough to enable you to squeeze it together.
© Of Batter and Dough. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Of Batter and Dough.