This Butterscotch Sauce is ultra rich, silky smooth, and creamy. The lemon juice, zest and rum are all optional ingredients; however, they are virtually undetectable in the finished sauce and add flavor complexity while helping to cut the richness.
- 2 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp packed lemon zest
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) butter
- Add 1 1/4 cups of the cream, salt, vanilla, rum and lemon juice to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of cream, corn syrup, brown sugar, lemon zest, and butter to a medium heavy bottomed saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until boiling. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Remove the sauce pan from the heat and slowly stir in the rum cream.
- Pour the sauce into a container and allow to cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.