These Lemon Bars start with a buttery, tender, melt-in-your-mouth shortbread crust that’s covered with a tart, silky filling bursting with bright lemon flavor.
FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2/3 powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 tbsp butter, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tsp lemon zest
FOR THE LEMON BAR FILLING:
- 4 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- Additional powdered sugar for sprinkling
PREPARE THE CRUST:
- Prepare a 9×13-inch baking dish: Make a foil sling by laying 2 long sheets of aluminum foil perpendicular to each other over the baking dish. The foil should be long enough to cover the pan and fold over the sides of the pan a few inches. Press the foil into the pan to cover the inside completely. Spray the foil with non-stick baking spray or brush with melted butter. Fold the overhanging foil over the sides of the pan. The overhang will help you lift the lemon bars from the pan after baking.
- Add the flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch and salt to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until combined. Add the butter and lemon zest, and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish and press into an even layer that covers the bottom of the pan and comes 1/2-inch up the sides. Cover and refrigerate the crust for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the crust from the refrigerator and bake uncovered for 20 minutes, until a light golden brown.
WHILE THE CRUST IS BAKING, PREPARE THE FILLING:
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and flour in a medium sized bowl until well combined. Add the remaining filling ingredients and whisk to blend well.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and pour the filling into a freshly baked, warm crust. Bake until the lemon filing feels set when touched, 20-30 minutes. Remove from the oven to a wire rack and allow the bars to cool completely in the pan.
- When the bars are cool, lift them from the pan using the foil sling and cut into bars with a sharp knife. Sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar and serve. The bars will keep at room temperature for up to 1 day or refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Category: Baking
Keywords: lemon bars, cookie bars, lemon dessert, easy recipe, simple cookie bars