Chocolate cupcake recipe that’s ultra moist, filled with amaretto cream, frosted with whipped chocolate ganache & sprinkled with almond pralines.
For the cupcakes:
- 1 recipe Devil’s Food Cake – follow the instructions to make 24 cupcakes.
For the frosting: (*See note)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 9 oz (about 1 1/2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 tbsp butter, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the Amaretto Pastry Cream Filling:
- 1 recipe Pastry Cream, chilled for at least 3 hours
- 1/4 cup Amaretto (or more, to taste)
For the Almond Praline:
- 1 cup whole almonds, roughly chopped into large pieces
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
Bake the Cupcakes:
- Follow the instructions for Devil’s Food Cake to make 24 cupcakes. Let cool completely before filling and frosting.
Make the frosting: (*See note)
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, cream, salt, and cinnamon and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce the heat and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and butter and stir until melted. Pour into a bowl, stir in the vanilla, cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours and up to 3 days.
- When ready to frost the cupcakes, whip the frosting with an electric mixer until lightened and fluffy. Scoop frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a decorators tip and swirl onto the cupcakes, or spread onto the cupcakes with a spatula or knife.
Fill the cupcakes:
- Stir Amaretto into chilled pastry cream. Taste and add more if desired.
- Scoop pastry cream into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Insert the tip into the center of each cupcake, pushing it into the center. Gently squeeze the decorating bag, pulling upwards until cupcake swells slightly and the filling comes to the top.
Make the Almond Praline:
- Heat almonds, sugar, cinnamon, butter and salt in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until almonds are toasted and sugar is completely melted and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Spread on aluminum foil or parchment paper and let cool completely. Break into chunks and add to the tops frosted cupcakes.
Instead of making whipped chocolate ganache, another equally delicious option is to make this Super Quick Chocolate Buttercream, which is also incredibly creamy and only takes about 5 minutes to prepare.