This one tested and perfected Carrot Cake Recipe is all you need to bake up a delicious Carrot Cake Layer Cake, Bundt Cake, or Cupcakes – all slathered with Cream Cheese Buttercream & Salted Caramel Rum Sauce.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup whole milk or 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 eggs + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups grated carrots (pack the carrots gently into the measuring cup so you have a generous 2 cups of carrots)
- Perfect Cream Cheese Buttercream (*See note.)
- Caramel Rum Sauce
- Grease and flour a 9-inch Bundt pan. OR line the bottom of two 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper and grease and flour the pans. OR set 24 paper cupcake liners in two cupcake pans.
- If baking a carrot cake bundt cake or cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. If baking two 8-inch layers, preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the wire whisk (or a large mixing bowl and a hand whisk), mix together the sugars, vegetable oil and applesauce until well combined.
- Add the yogurt, vanilla, eggs and egg yolk and mix until slightly lightened – about 1 minute on medium speed.
- In a separate bowl, blend the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg with a wire whisk until well combined.
- If you’re using a standing mixer, switch to the paddle attachment and blend the flour mixture into the wet ingredients on medium-low until combined and smooth – about 1 minute. If mixing by hand, use a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the grated carrots. Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s).
- If baking a bundt cake, bake for about 50 minutes. If baking cupcakes, bake for 22-25 minutes. If baking two 8-inch layers, bake for 45-50 minutes. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick in the center of the cake or into one of the cupcakes. It will have some cake crumbs stuck to it, but not raw batter.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then invert cake (s) onto a wire rack to cool completely. If making cupcakes, let them cool in the cupcake tin before removing.
- Ice cooled cake or cupcakes with Cream Cheese Buttercream. Serve immediately with generous amounts of Caramel Rum Sauce, or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.