Tender cinnamon-spiked muffins studded with chunks of fresh apples and a gooey apple butter center, then topped with buttery brown sugar streusel.
FOR THE STREUSEL:
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup old fashioned oats
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup plain, unsweetened yogurt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure almond extract (optional – can use 2 tsp vanilla extract instead)
- 2 cups diced apple, peeled (2 small apples or 1 large)
- 3/4 cup apple butter, purchased or homemade (optional)
MAKE THE STREUSEL:
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Pour in the melted butter and mix until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Cover, and set aside.
BAKE THE MUFFINS:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin pan with paper liners. (12 tulip liners or 24 regular paper liners.)
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a medium size bowl and mix with a wire whisk to combine.
- Combine the melted butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a medium size bowl and whisk vigorously with a wire whisk for about 30 seconds, until well combined. Add the eggs and whisk for another 30 seconds. Whisk in the yogurt and vanilla and almond extracts until combined.
- With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in the dry ingredients and then the apples. The batter will be very thick.
- Distribute half the batter between 12 tulip-lined cups or 24 regular paper lined cups. Use your fingers or the back of a spoon to press the batter gently into each cup. Dollop about 1 tablespoon of apple butter onto the muffin batter (1/2 tablespoon if making 24 small muffins). Spoon the remaining batter over the apple butter and use the back of a spoon to press the batter into the cup. Evenly distribute the streusel across all the muffins.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out mostly clean: 28-32 minutes if baking 12 larger muffins or 18-20 minutes if baking 24 smaller muffins,
- Let cool on a wire rack.