Lemon Muffins with Crystalized Ginger & a Tart Lemon Glaze.
Lemon Muffins with candied ginger, sugar, & a tart lemon glaze. Both tart & sweet, these lemon muffins are the perfect afternoon-treat.
If you were to drop by my house late in the afternoon, I would want to serve you a tray of these lemon muffins.
I would open the windows, and we would enjoy the fresh air and the late day sun, and talk about our week.
And it would be so…. lovely.
Because, these lemon muffins are perfect afternoon-treat muffins. Gingery, sugary, tart and sweet.
Not that I would turn one of these down in the morning. Warm and dripping with tart lemon glaze…
Topped with crystalized ginger and giving the house that fresh, warm, fresh-baked smell that is so delicious.
Especially when mixed with coffee. Or tea.
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, melted (or vegetable or canola oil)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1¼ cups sour cream
- 1 tbsp packed lemon zest
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- Crystalized ginger (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease muffin pan or line with paper liners and set aside. (This recipe will make 6 jumbo muffins or 12 regular size muffins.)
- With a wire whisk, mix the flour, baking powder, ginger and salt in a medium size bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, beat the melted butter and oil with both sugars with a wire whisk until well blended and slightly lightened. Whisk in eggs and then sour cream, lemon zest, vanilla and lemon extracts until well blended.
- Stir dry ingredients into mixture with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until just blended.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full. If making regular size muffins, bake for 20-25 minutes. Jumbo size muffins will take 40-45 min. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of one muffin comes out clean.
- Combine lemon glaze ingredients in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and let reduce until syrupy and slightly thick. You should have about 4 tbsp of glaze.
- Mix together the ginger sugar topping and set aside.
- Let the muffins cool in the muffin pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, and then gently lift them out of muffin tin, dip the tops in the lemon glaze and sprinkle with the ginger-sugar. Set on a wire rack to cool.
- If you like, top with chopped crystalized candied ginger.